Second Assistant - IT Department
As a local solicitor’s firm with a history dating back over 175 years, we are pleased to announce an opening for a full-time role in our IT department. It is a career opportunity that has multiple aspects but mainly encircles the development and maintaining product lifecycle within a small team.
As a developer, you will be expected to learn our current Microsoft Windows based internal practice management system from the ground up and work towards its development, including potential future replacement systems. You will be responsible for case management workflows, document creation, interface customisation, bespoke programming using VBS and HTML, training and the ongoing support and maintenance of all these aspects. A heavy involvement can be expected in the planning, development, training, and implementation of both current and new software platforms.
You will also assist the IT Director in the creation of Visual Basic .NET bespoke applications that support and enhance the Microsoft Windows Desktop infrastructure and user experience outside the practice management system. Involvement in the planning, development, and training of staff in the products you help create will be expected.
An excellent working knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server and SQL query design is required as will be used in all aspects of the role. The ability to create and maintain reports based in SQL Server Reporting Service is desirable.
As part of a small team, you will be expected to help your other team members to cover their roles in terms of system maintenance and user support during times of staff absence or critical events.
The role is based in our Dorking office however visits to our branch offices in Godalming and Cobham may be necessary to facilitate certain tasks. Public transport to these branch offices is not very accessible therefore a valid driving licence and vehicle are required.
The reading of sample code in Visual Basic and SQL, to explain the codes purpose, will be required in the interview to demonstrate your ability as a developer.
The right candidate will demonstrate the following qualities:
- a willingness to learn & self-develop
- pro-active approach to work and information gathering
- excellent communication and presentation skills
- a desire to work in a small team
- Working within a technical team
- Development and maintenance of case management software, practice management or other legal software
- Experience in the deployment of corporate applications created in Visual Studios
- Support skills in Windows desktop and server environments
- ASP .NET, Batch Scripting, VBS
- Programming skills within both Visual Basic.NET and VBA
- Experience in HTML coding for the purpose of data manipulation (not web design)
- SQL Server Management Studio usage and SQL query design
- Confidence to lead planning meetings and train user groups