The rocky road to Covid recovery reveals important need to plan ahead

As well as Covid-19 having devastating effects on sufferers and their families, it seems the after effects following recovery are being felt as well. The huge effect of the virus will no doubt be felt in months and years to come - which is why families need to be planning ahead to avoid further heartache.

In an article by the BBC, tens of thousands of people suffering more long term symptoms of Covid-19 has prompted NHS England into launching a new online portal and recovery advice service.

“Your Covid Recovery” is a 12 week programme offering support for those suffering symptoms such as post-viral fatigue syndrome, as well as giving access to support groups, exercise tutorials and mental health services. By launching the service, at a cost of around £8million, this shows the Government is acknowledging that the symptoms from the virus can be long suffering, even after recovery.

In a previous blog I spoke about how the recovery period and any subsequent on-going complaints are still relatively unknown and that there was even a chance that the virus had links to more than just lung disease, but there were risks of severe mental illness as well with links to strokes and even dementia.

This tells us that there’s never a better time to plan for the unexpected. Think about what could happen to you or your family members if you were unable to look after yourself. How would you pay rent and other bills? Who would look after children? Would you wish to receive any particular medical treatment if you became severely ill and do your family know what these wishes are?

There are other considerations too. Have you thought about how you might access any online accounts? Paypal for example or Facebook? Think about any digital assets you own and how these can be accessed if you are unable to do so yourself. Did you know as well, that digital assets are handled differently to physical assets, because it can be trickier to prove who “owns” any access rights to anything posted online?

Making a will or drafting a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) is the best way to secure your wishes in law. Talk to your family and prepare a letter of wishes, and speak to a solicitor for the best advice for you. Speak to the Private Client team at Downs Solicitors to see how we can help.

Our Team

More Knowledge
Watch out for sting in the tail for shared ownership with family members

Before going into shared ownership with any family members, just make sure you are not setting yourself a trap for later on - as one family nearly found out.


As well as credit checks, should more companies be running mental health checks?

Affordability is a key issue when it comes to any transactions or financial contracts. Whilst an applicant may be sound on paper, there are no personal or medical references needed, but why is that important?

When family feuds go wrong: Can I leave my son out of my will?

You’d be surprised how often I get asked questions like this in my profession, but whilst leaving a family member out of a will is a difficult moral dilemma, there might be other things to consider - or it could just come back to haunt you.

The Bank of Mum and Dad

It's a good time to sell. Demand for properties amongst buyers is currently exceeding supply meaning properties in the South East are selling quickly and often at, or even above, asking price. The availability of lending to First Time Buyers (FTBs) continues to improve and with lenders offering FTBs incentives such as paying their Stamp Duty Land Tax bill, more young people will be enticed to take their first step onto the property ladder.

Commercial Leases and Break Clauses

In 2014, we reported on the Court of Appeal’s decision in the case of Marks & Spencer PLC v BNP Paribas Securities Trust Company (Jersey) Ltd (BNP Paribas). Following this, Marks & Spencer PLC were allowed by the Supreme Court to appeal the decision of the Court of Appeal to not grant them a refund of the rent they had paid past the break date of the lease.

Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards for Private Rented Property

If you are a Landlord of domestic and/or non-domestic private rented property and the Energy Efficiency Rating of that property (shown on the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)) is F or G, then this article is relevant to you.


15A High Street
KT11 3DH

T: 01932 589599
F: 01932 505087

DX: 46102 COBHAM


156 High Street

T: 01306 880110
F: 01306 471230



The Tanners
75 Meadrow

T: 01483 861848
F: 01483 431965