We have built up a network of trusted foreign law firms who can provide advice and representation within their jurisdiction, combined with knowledge of local practice, and where necessary appropriate contacts to assist your objective. Although we will always find overseas lawyers who have a good understanding of written and spoken English, there is sometimes the possibility of a misunderstanding because of the differences in legal systems. We are, therefore, willing to maintain a “watching brief” on your behalf over the chosen firm to ensure everything runs as smoothly as possible.
As our business clients from time to time have a need for legal advice from non-UK lawyers, we have established strong relationships with overseas law firms and are able to call upon those firms to provide our clients with the advice that they need in a timely and cost effective manner.
Below are just some examples of the areas in which we have helped clients to obtain advice for their business overseas:-
- Distribution and agency agreements (which may often be subject to specific local regulations).
- Commercial contracts – for example supply or co-operation agreements or IP Licensing.
- Debt recovery and restructuring: recognition of English insolvency regimes abroad.
- Competition and anti-trust law.
- Employment law contracts and employee disputes.
- Disputes with non -UK contracting parties.
- Sales and acquisitions of foreign businesses.
- Property sales and purchases, and other real estate transactions.
- Corporate finance and debt funding.
- Enforcement of English Judgments.
- Global mobility services.
Most recently we have acted:-
- For an English businessman in successfully obtaining his release from Nigeria having been illegally arrested in Benin and extradited to Nigeria.
- For Middle Eastern investors regarding the purchase and construction of a retail park in Madrid.
- For an English company enforcing a shareholders agreement against a Luxembourg company in Luxembourg with reference to a joint venture company in Serbia.
- Acting for and protecting the interests of UK based shareholders in an Australian proprietary company, including negotiating a shareholder's agreement.
If you have any questions or would like advice, please contact Julian Harvey, either by telephone +44 (0)1306 502221 or by email email@example.com.