Our experience of acting for and advising overseas clients and law firms has enabled us to gain an invaluable insight into the delivery of our services in a way which understands the culture and practices of the corresponding country.
The lawyers in our International Group understand that their advice must be clear and concise and understood by clients, whose ability to speak or write English may be to some extent limited. The key is to understand the objective and the context in which our clients may view the same.
We advise our clients on all areas of English law, including:
- Importing or exporting agreements.
- Dispute resolution and litigation
- Enforcement of international judgments in the UK, including secured recovery
- Employment issues and contracts, including health and safety law
- Agency and distribution agreements
- International licensing agreements
- International intellectual property
- Company incorporation, reorganisation
- Business mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures
- Corporate governance
- Agency, distribution and franchise
- Cross border issues such as enforcement of contracts
- Insolvency, restructuring and director advisory
- Onshore and offshore trusts
- Property, including a comprehensive range of property-related legal services for developers, investors, owners, landlords, tenants and property funds
- Hospitality and gaming
- Wills, probate (including complex estates), tax planning and asset protection
- Family Law, including financial agreements, divorce and child welfare matters
- Immigration advice on setting up a business in the UK
Recent examples of our work for clients include:-
- Advising an Argentinian Oil Broker regarding breach of contract claims against Swiss and Chinese oil companies with branches in England.
- Obtaining recognition of foreign liquidations and bankruptcies.
- Acting for Mexican and Lebanese investors against English investment advisers.
- Acting for a large Japanese multi-national regarding their interests in the UK.
- Acting for middle eastern investors regarding the purchase and construction of a retail park in Madrid.
- Acting for Jersey incorporated companies on the acquisition and disposal of commercial property in the UK.
- Acting for a Gibraltar based lender in respect of taking security over UK based property.
More from the Downs Blog
The third lockdown in England legally came into force on 6 January 2021. How long it will last is uncertain. At least until mid-February and possibly until late March. Vaccination provides a route out of the pandemic, but businesses need to survive this final and possibly longest of the lockdowns.
During these uncertain times, it is good to know you can count on us.
Even after the recent Government announcement of another national lockdown we remain open for business and are here to help you.